[jawsscripts] Re: What Is A Dialog Box?

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:25:00 -0900

The important thing about dialog boxes is that they usually disable
interaction with any 'lower' portion of the program that created them
(there are exceptions such as how find/replace is often implemented,
but those are a definite minority).  The  other major point about
dialogs is that they are much more likely than regular windows to use
the standard windows controls (buttons, edit, combo box and so on).
So dialogs are usually used to perform a single integrated (and
usually fairly concise task).  From the windows programmer's
perspective dialogs offer some advantages, such as built in logic for
creating a set of controls from a template, handling the tab key to
switch controls, default controls and some other such items.  But as
far as scripting goes for the most part dialogs (and their controls)
should just be more windows to deal with.

On 2/28/12, Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark, a dialog box is simply a series of controls that enable a
> "conversation" of sorts w/the user. An example is the typical "file
> open" dialog box u get when u press
> ctrl o, for example.
>
> On 2/28/12, mark <marktorgerson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi
>>      I am trying to script a program on my own. When I am using the Jaws
>> cursor to move around the screen, I keep hearing JAWS saying I am on
>> different dialog boxes. Apparently this is very important. However, I have
>> no idea what it means. Any ideas are appreciated.
>>
>> God bless,
>> Mark
>>
>> God Loves you!
>> You can visit my website at:
>>  <http://christiantraditions.info> http://christiantraditions.info
>> Please visit my blog at:
>>  <http://christian-traditions.blogspot.com>
>> http://christian-traditions.blogspot.com

> Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
> might even be the culprit
> Jackie McBride
> Ask Me Computer Questions at: www.pcinquirer.com
> Jaws Scripting training materials: www.screenreaderscripting.com