[jawsscripts] Re: What Is A Dialog Box?

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 10:27:55 -0900

Umm, a window is just a region of screen space owned by a single
program.  Some types of windows can overlap other windows and provide
user control over their position on screen.  These are usually top
level windows (the ones that show up on the task bar and sometimes a
few others).

Windows are controlled on the code side by a series of messages
(create, show, activate, size, paint and so on, there are a great many
such standard messages).  The way the code responds to those messages
determines its functionality.

Top level windows can turn over part of the area they own to child
windows, which can have child windows of their own until you run out
of system memory (you are much more likely to run out of virtual
desktop space foro all these windows to show up before that happens
though).

There are also quite a few standard window types for tasks that nearly
every program needs at some point, these include buttons, edit
controls, combo boxes etc.  The system provides these so that
programmers don't need to create them from scratch every time they
start a new program.

These standard window types usually have a fairly limited set of
functionality but do it extremely well.  The button window class for
instance is responsible for drawing a piece of text, possibly an icon,
is resposible for spacing the text and icon correctly.  It responds in
a specific manner to mouse button clicks (if you hold a mouse button
down the  button window is redrawn so that it appears depressed, if
you continue to hold the mouse button down and move the mouse out of
the button window the window is redrawn again, in the raised state, it
will go back to the depressed appearance if you move the mouse back
into the button area while still holding the mouse and so on).

Most such visual niceties are not particularly relevant to blind folks.

A dialog is a type of overlapped window that is provided by the
system.  In the usual case it does not allow itself to be resized, but
its position can be changed.  A dialog usually creates a set of
controls from a template.  It provides logic for child window
selection, initialization and some other stuff.  A dialog also usually
prevents input from reaching windows that are owned by the same paren
while the dialog is running.

Specific examples of dialog you likely encounter on a regular basis
would be the standard file open and save windows.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx