[jawsscripts] Re: An interesting scripting problem

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 08:07:05 -0700

Well, that's because it may well be present onscreen, i.e., jaws can
find it, but it's not visible. I would use isWindowVisible() to check
whether or not Jaws actually sees the window onscreen, &, if so, then
attempt to set focus to it.

On 5/6/12, Steve Matzura <number6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm scripting an application that has a window that's sometimes there,
> sometimes not. The first order of business is to check if the window
> is there, and if it is, set focus to it. I know the control ID of the
> window, 1019. I'm trying to use FindDescendantWindow with a start
> handle of 0 to verify its existence. My script so far looks like this:
>
> Script ReadSearchStatus ()
>
> var handle hwin
>
> let hwin = FindDescendantWindow (0, 1019)
>
> if hwin > 0
> then
> Say ("search window present.", ot_jaws_message, false)
>
> ; Insert code to set focus to the window. Should I even bother
> ; with this?
> ; Should I just try setting focus and if it fails, assume the window's
> ; not present?
>
> else
> Say ("search window is not present.", ot_jaws_message, false)
>
> endif
>
> EndScript
>
> The problem is, it always comes up saying the window is present, even
> when it's not.

Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
might even be the culprit
Jackie McBride
Ask Me Computer Questions at: www.pcinquirer.com
Jaws Scripting training materials: www.screenreaderscripting.com