[jawsscripts] An interesting scripting problem

  • From: Steve Matzura <number6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 10:34:29 -0400

I'm scripting an application that has a window that's sometimes there,
sometimes not. The first order of business is to check if the window
is there, and if it is, set focus to it. I know the control ID of the
window, 1019. I'm trying to use FindDescendantWindow with a start
handle of 0 to verify its existence. My script so far looks like this:

Script ReadSearchStatus ()

var handle hwin

let hwin = FindDescendantWindow (0, 1019)

if hwin > 0
then
Say ("search window present.", ot_jaws_message, false)

; Insert code to set focus to the window. Should I even bother
; with this?
; Should I just try setting focus and if it fails, assume the window's
; not present?

else
Say ("search window is not present.", ot_jaws_message, false)

endif

EndScript

The problem is, it always comes up saying the window is present, even
when it's not.