[jaws-uk] Re: marking up word documents

  • From: "Jamie Cuthbertson" <jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:53:55 -0000

Graham,

As an extra to what Chris and Phil have already said, I think, particularly
if you are working with a scanned document, it is worth making sure that the
whole document is converted to 'Normal' style before going through it to put
in the heading levels - it just cuts down on possible areas of aggro later
on.

Which method are you planning to use for the conversion to the DAISY format?
I'm kind of assuming that it might be the Dolphin Producer or the new
Microsoft Save as DAISY feature on a beta version?  Just idle curiosity on
my part.  If it's the Microsoft tool, I'd be interested to hear how well it
works - off line might be best at 'jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx'.

Depending on the conversion tool that you are using, you should be aware
that, if you use outline numbering as part of your text styles, in Dolphin
Producer the outline numbering will be lost when converted to DAISY format.
Because of this, if the numbering is important, you may find it best to type
these in manually when creating the document rather than using the outline
numbering feature.  If numbering is not an issue, please ignore this last
paragraph.

Nearly finished....If you are using Dolphin Producer, and you have version
1.5 or newer, in addition to the heading levels it should now be possible to
put Alt text on images and have that taken through to the DAISY version for
using with one of the DAISY software players.

Hope this all makes some sense.

Cheers,

Jamie