[jaws-uk] Re: Tiddy or anyone

  • From: "MaggieMoore" <maggie_moore@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:14:47 +0100

Hi Dorothy,

I am a Onetel customer.  We have their package which includes free phone
calls to 01 and 02 numbers, 2 Meg broadband and one contract mobile phone
with 60 minutes free air time a month.  You also get 4 email addresses with
that.  this package costs £39 a month.  We also rent our phone line from
them.  This is an additional £9 a month.  For another £1 a month, we get
their extremely competitive overseas call rates.  They also provide a free
1571 service, but you have to ask for this.  They don't seem to provide it
automatically.

We started out using the modem which was provided with the phone package,
but wanted to use our existing wireless router.  Their modem would not
support a wireless router, so I ended up buying a combined modem and
wireless  router from Belkin.  This cost about £70.  I went for Belkin,
because I was advised that they had very good technical support.  This
proved to be true, and I was able, with the help of their helpline, to
install the modem/router myself.  I am not at all technical, so it must have
been very easy.  Touchwood, I have had no problems with it since.  The
wireless coverage is good.  Between me, my husband and my kids, we sometimes
have 4 computers accessing the internet at any given time and this does not
seem to be any problem.

As to the Onetel question, I am pretty happy with their service.  I had been
using their Overseas call service since they started, so was already very
pro them as a company.  On the whole, I've been happy since going over to
them, with the one caveat that, because they have grown so big now, their
various services are not always very joined up.  so, for example, we didn't
know originally about having  to  pay the extra £1 a month for the overseas
call service.  This was a rather costly oversight initially.  Also, it is
only when it is only them that you are paying for, that you start to realise
just how many 0845 and 0870 calls you routinely make.  I am now very
conscious of checking, when an 0845 number is advertised, whether there is
an 01 or 02 alternative.

On the whole though, I  think Onetel definitely gives better value for money
than BT, particularly if you make a lot of international calls.

sorry this was rather long and rambling, but hope it answers your questions.

Regards,

Maggie