[jaws-uk] Re: Thanks and more problems

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:34:37 +0100

One thing which we could change to help prevent infestations of virus and
other malware is to use a limited account for our everyday work and leave
the administrator account for use only when we need full administration
privileges.

If you happen to receive a virus when working in a user with full
administration privileges, the virus has all of those permissions which you
enjoy.

Working in a limited user environment, whilst not a watertight technique,
limits you and anything else which purports to be you from obtaining full
control of the pc.

A limited account provides the following capabilities:

With a limited account, you can:
Change or remove your password
Change your picture, theme, and other desktop settings
View files you created
View files in the Shared Documents folder
Users with limited accounts cannot always install programs. Depending on the
program, a user
might need administrator privileges to install it.
Also, programs designed prior to Windows XP or Windows 2000 might not work
properly with
limited accounts. For best results, choose programs bearing the Designed for
Windows XP logo,
or, to run older programs, choose the "computer administrator" account type.

There must always be one administrator account on a pc and you can always
switch to that when you need to undertake a task which you can't do in the
limited account.

I know of very few personal machines whose owners habitually use a limited
account for their everyday use.

Regards,

Phil Medway

E-mail: philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx