[jaws-uk] Re: Headings in web pages

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:53:46 +0100

Hi Tink,

I didn't take a lot of time over this but for example, they
are using a file called "Transparent.jpg" in around 30
places on the main page.  However, while this is used as a
kind of spacer between various sections and other
illustration, they have given it an Alt Tag of "Spacer
Image".

Ironically, I could not find the words "Header" or "Heading"
or similar, anywhere.  That said, a) I may have missed
something, and b) only one person seems to have this
problem, which makes me wonder if it's a local configuration
issue.

George.

Watson
> Sent: 25 May 2005 10:35
> To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [jaws-uk] Re: Headings in web pages
>
> George,
>
>     I'm curious, what did the problem turn out to be?
>
> Tink.

and
> exchanged messages already with Sue Fergusson hopefully
> explaining in layman's terms what the problem is.
>
> The web site is designed by a division of "Charity
Skills",
> so please bear with NALSVI while they sort it out with the
> designers.
>
> George.

it
> > definitely says *Heading level 3* through the text.
What

<jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

find
> any
> > headings at
> > all on the NALSVI website, nor can I find any lines that
> come
> > up with the
> > text you mention!
> >
> > What I do find on the page is an irritating number of
'eye

> > candy' graphics
> > which are announced as "Graphic spacer image".
> >
> > You've got me wondering now if I've got some setting
that
> is
> > set to ignore
> > headings but I'm pretty sure that this is not the case
as
> it announces
> > headings on other websites.
> >
> > Sounds most odd to me.
> >
> > Incidentally, on a site where headings have been used
> well,
> > they can be a
> > really excellent additional navigation facility and
> shouldn't
> > be necessarily
> > viewed as a nuisance.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Jamie

immediately-following
> link:-
> > > **
> [mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
> > > ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
> > > ** jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > ** and in the Subject line type
> > > ** unsubscribe
> > > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode,
click
> on the
> > > ** immediately-following link:-
> > > ** [mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
> > > ** or send a message, to
> > > ** jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
faq

> > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
> link:-
> > **
> [mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
> > ** jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on
> the
> > ** immediately-following link:-
> > ** [mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
> > ** or send a message, to
> > ** jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq
> >
> > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
> link:-
> > **
> [mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
> > ** jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on
> the
> > ** immediately-following link:-
> > ** [mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
> > ** or send a message, to
> > ** jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq
> >

> This Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee
Groupshield.
link:-
[mailto:jaws-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe]
the