[jaws-uk] Re: Facebook query

  • From: "Jamie Cuthbertson" <jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 15:52:52 -0000

Hi Paul,

As I've only recently started using Facebook myself, I'm afraid that I
haven't got much to help you with except that I believe that there is a list
run by Chris Hallsworth that is dedicated to accessing Facebook as a blind
user.  From one of Chris' previous postings to this list, I found the
following:

To subscribe to the Blind Facebook list, send a message to
'b-f-b-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

The only other things which might be of use initially are 2 quick tips that
I only found out about because my sighted son told me about them.

Firstly, I believe that there are 3 links near the top of the page which
were unlabelled.  I think that they come immediately after the first
occurrence of the "Home" link - or at least they used to.  I noticed today
that the interface appears to have been changed so perhaps this has now been
sorted.  In any case, once I had been told what they were for and had used
the Graphics labeller to label them sensibly, the page made some more sense.
I think the links were "Friend requests", "Personal messages" and
"Notifications".

The other thing that will probably not be obvious is that to log off the
site, you first have to click on the "Account" button and then scroll down
to the "Logout" button.  The account button activates a small menu that
opens up on screen.  A pain until you know about it!!

I also noticed that generous use of the letter H key is very helpful as
Facebook makes a lot of use of headings on the various pages.

Apart from that I'm a bit in the dark myself at present.

Good luck.

Jamie