[jaws-uk] Re: End of support for Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows XP Service Pack 1

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:27:56 +0100

Hi Tiddy,

XP SP1 actually came out in December 2001, so will have run
in 5 year life cycle at the end of this year.

SP2 is a free download, or a minimal charge for a CD.  In
fact, many computer magazine produced cover disks with SP2
on them.

In terms of support, most XP users are entitled to two free
support calls, a fact that I have been grateful for on many
occasions.

However, the REAL support is more of a software developer
issue, as well as supporting commercial enterprises who have
many PCs.  There comes a point where it is uneconomical for
Microsoft and indeed many 3rd party support organisations to
provide even paid for support.

George.