[jaws-uk] Re: End of support for Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows XP Service Pack 1

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 23:20:48 +0100

Hi Wendy,

I'm sorry to say this, but progress is progress, whether we
like it or not.

We've had to TV changes from 405 to 625 lines where those of
us with TVs had to scrap our sets.

We will have to do that again very soon when they go fully
to digital TV.

We cannot buy leaded petrol any more, so those of us driving
olders cars have had to adapt them to lead free petrol.

And I can't even smoke on a train or plane any more.

So why should software and operating system be exempt from
progress?

How many DOS users are left?

How many Windows 3.1 users are left?

Then we have 95, 98, and Millennium users.

Windows NT of various flavours.

I speak from the software developers' point of view.  Some
things you all want, just cannot be done on older hardware.
I'm afraid the majority consumer drives the market these
days.  And sadly, all too many are left behind.

George.