[iyonix-support] Re: formatting a usb storage device

  • From: John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 11:32:11 +0100

Hi

In message <5a082d224e.peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Peter Russell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4e21d3c8cdlists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
>           Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In article <5ab3f7214e.peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    Peter Russell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> A friend has given me a 40GB drive that can be plugged into the usb port.
> >> It is recognised by the Iyonix but returns "the disc drive is empty"
> >> message when clicking on the drive icon ( :4) that appears on the
> >> iconbar.
> >
> > Is it already formatted? If so, to what format. I occasionally get this
> > kind of error if I try accessing an Apple Mac format disc.
> >
> > Generally, PC formatted discs should be automatically recognised by the
> > Iyonix.
> >
> I tried both fat32 and ntfs. Results as previously described.

dos fat32 format has a limit of 2Gb.. imposed due to filecore file size
limit.

scsiform format goes full size..ish..scsiform will be found in
utilities.USB-Mass folder on an up to date disc image.

Note however that mounting a scsiform formatted hdd can take even a few
minutes due to inefficiencies in the scsifs mount process.

JB

--
John Ballance
CTO Castle Technology Ltd