[iyonix-support] Re: "flex memory error" with !PDF

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 13:10:30 +0100

In message <e5a8a0f553.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Nagel <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jim asked:
>>> ...  why did this "Flex memory error" start appearing on my Iyonix
>>> (5.18)?  Why does it seem to affect nothing but the !PDF application?

> Alan Adams  wrote on 9 Apr:
>> possibly because the Wimpslot specified in the application's !Run file
>> is too small?

> Well, that seems to have done it.  The new alpha version (!PDFtest,
> 2013-05-20) from Chris Gransden, as suggested by John Rickman, has a
> higher wimpslot defined in its !Run file, so I copied that higher
> figure into !Run of the older !PDF.  And now it works without the
> "Flex memory error".

> Still puzzled why !PDF with unaltered wimpslot works on the RiscPC and
> Armini, and worked till a few months ago on the Iyonix -- what would
> have caused it to begin this "Flex memory error" on Iyonix but not the
> other machines?

Either something has increased its memory needs, or it's allocation
has become less efficient. I wonder whether an OS update has changed
the memory page size? I think that the Wimpslot gets rounded to whole
pages, so a changed page size could have reduced the real memory
available.

If any application gives error messages even hinting at memory, it's
always worth trying an increased slot.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx