[iyonix-support] Re: Pyjamas still.

  • From: Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 22:48:07 +0100

In article <Marcel-1.53-0517082242-1cbpErr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue 16 May, Gary Locock wrote:
> >
> > In article <9547e1274e.acld75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > [Snip]
> >
> > > TBH, in the light of the above I can't see the point of the soft
> > > restart button: I'd much rather have a conventional, RPC-style,
> > > make-and-break switch on the front.
> >
> > Seconded!

> Unforunatly I think it's a battle lost, I can't remember the last new PC
> case that didn't have a soft start button.

We have at least one, about 4 years old, but very unlikely to be current.

Castle are stuck with proprietary cases for obvious reasons.  Whilst the
mechanical switch behind the pretty button could probably be swapped for a
'hard' power switch (or a relay more likely), it would still have to draw its
power from the PSU, which would defeat the object.  Alternatively, putting a
proper mains power isolating switch on the front would probably require a
specially modified PSU...  Ho Hum.  Another fine idea smacks into the
buffers...

> The silly thing is that I think 95+% of PC users don't have a need for it
> (The Soft start means you can implement a Wake Up on Lan (i.e. remotely
> power a machine up which can be useful in very specific circumstances)

WOL is the best reason for a soft power-on, but the Iyo can't do it, and TBH
even if it could, 5-10% of the time it wouldn't start up properly and would
need manually resetting :-(

> The only real use I think PC users make of 'soft' powering, is the 'soft
> power down', PC users wouldn't like to wait around for the system to shut
> down to then turn the power off, which on a normal RISC OS setup is of
> course no problem:-)

Soft power down is nonetheless quite a pleasant feature when you have 30 to
switch off each night, but only if it is reliable.  When a machine has to be
reset before the power-down will operate (also around 5-10% of instances) it
is a PITA, and holds up the entire routine.

We are almost certainly stuck with soft power-on/off, but it would be sooooo
nice if it worked every time!

Gary

--
Gary Locock, Network Manager, Bablake Junior School
Coundon Road, Coventry CV1 4AU

---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
currently using to read this email. ]