[iyonix-support] Re: Options for replacement HDD

  • From: Dave Higton <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 01:39:16 -0800

On  Mon, 16 Jun 2014 23:44:31 +0100 David Ruck wrote:

> Just bough a brand new WD 160GB 7200rpm from Amazon for 8 quid. It's
> formatted to 128GB (the maximum fast UDMA can do), and it's quite a bit
> quicker than the original 5400 rpm drive.

Have you got a link to that, please?

>> - PATA to SDHC adaptor, life of medium highly questionable;
>> - PATA to SATA adaptor, SATA drive; if anyone can find one that works;
>> - Boot off SDHC, thereafter use a USB drive;
>> - any more?
>
> If I was going to do anything else, it would be a compact flash to IDE
> converter and say a 32 or 64GB CF card for programs and working data,
> with everything else stored on a NAS.

IIUC, CF can be problematic because only some cards operate correctly
with the Iyonix's old interface.

> CF is a lot more reliable than SDHC, and far quicker than a USB drive
> (especially with the Iyonix less than maximum USB 2 performance). You
> can still get a proper SSD with an PATA interface, but the Iyonix only
> has an ATA100 interface so can't make use of the additional performance
> of an SSD, and RISC OS is so light on discs you don't need the extra
> write cycles.

SSD is an interesting thought.  I'm not a speed freak.  Just to have
something that matches or exceeds the speed of the existing spinning
rust will be good enough.

Dave

FREE 3D MARINE AQUARIUM SCREENSAVER - Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on your
desktop!