[iyonix-support] Re: Options for replacement HDD

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 16:19:18 +0100

On 17/06/2014 11:17, Chris Evans (CJE/4D) wrote:> Not that it would probably make a lot of difference JWB has stated frequently

that the UDMA limit is 120GB not 128GB

Thanks for the reminder. I'll format it down to 128GB, as I don't want the last 8GB getting slow if it's ever used.

> I wrote:
CF is a lot more reliable than SDHC,

Citation needed please.

High speed CF is now almost exclusively used in high end photography, so it tends to be produced in lower volume and with better quality than the average SD card - and costs a bit more too.

AIUI CF, SD, SDHC & SSD all comprise of a Interface/Controller, Cache? and
the actual Flash Memory, normally NAND FLASH

Also of significance is what wear levelling is built into the device. I
suspect SSD drives will have the latest more conservative wear levelling
support. But google found no suggestion of better reliablity for CF over SD.

SSDs have better wear levelling and greater over provision, which is needed if you are going to use it as a main drive in a Windows PC, with constant disc access. You aren't going to get a fraction of that usage with RISC OS.

Cheers
---David
--
Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx