[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix Breakdown

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 12:48:19 GMT

In message <4B1A4702.1080508@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          Peter Russell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Peter Russell wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I have purchased a copy of DiscKnight and downloaded it onto my wife's
>> laptop. What is your suggested modus operandi?

Check your power supply urgently. See below for reasons.

> Perhaps I should add some extra information as I was blocked out of this
> list for a while......

<snip>

> This coincided with my having left a memory stick inadveratly in one of
> the usb ports and found next morning that it had melted.

The USB spec requires the ports to be current limited at 500mA.
Experience suggests that in many cases there is no current limit.

The original fault must either have been the memory device, choosing
to draw excessive current, or the power system supplying an
excessively high voltage. Subsequent failures suggest the latter.

> After this
> point both the front usb ports fail to work and also "destroy" any
> memory stick placed in them. No they don't melt as well but they then
> lose their data and fail to work at all. From this time on my start up
> problems recommenced ....

> If the start up process goes long enough I get an error message
> Disc Error 23 at :4/00000012F776D200 and further along Internal Abort on
> Data Transfer at &FC12E53C

According to the RO4 PRM, disc error 23(hex) means "controller did not
respond within timeout".

My guess is that this could either be due to a faulty controller, or a
disc drive not responding to the controller. Given the suspicion above
about power supplies, I would begin by testing the power voltages
inside your system.

On the disc connectors, both inner pins are 0 volts (ground). The
outer pins are 12 volt and 5 volt. Make sure they are. The 5 volt
needs to be accurate, probably no more than 0.1 volts out either way.
The 12 volt is not quite so critical, but I'd worry if it was more
than 0.5 volts out.

> Anyone understand any of this? Maybe my new hard drive is defective?
> Possibly my usb card is now defective as well in terms of the front
> ports anyway. I suspect I may need to replace this card. Does anyone
> know if Castle still carry supplies?

> I have managed to make preliminary contact with David Ruck and at his
> suggestion obtain a copy of DiscKnight. I am not sure exactly what I
> should do next.

Assuming you can get the machine to run, run DiscKnight first in
diagnostic mode - don't let it fix anything. The results of this may
tell you a lot, if not, post them here and somebody will be able to
help.

I suspect it will tell you that the disc isn't responding - which is
what error 23 tells you as well.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx