[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix Breakdown

  • From: Peter Russell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 22:11:54 +1030

Peter Russell wrote:
Hi David,

I have purchased a copy of DiscKnight and downloaded it onto my wife's laptop. What is your suggested modus operandi?

Perhaps I should add some extra information as I was blocked out of this list for a while......

My Iyonix has broken down a few days ago. This was after a dream run where I had eliminated the startup problems I was having by replacing the power supply. I also took the opportunity to add a new hard drive which I made the master as I thought the old drive was giving up the ghost. I made the old drive the slave and started copying some of my most important files and programs across. The machine was also given a memory upgrade to 512MB. It seemed to start quicker and run programs faster. I thought I had a new lease of life until a few days a go probably a week by now my world fell apart. The machine went back to its old behaviour of freezing during start up, taking several attempts to get to the desktop. Then the desktop would freeze at some point and require a reboot.

This coincided with my having left a memory stick inadveratly in one of the usb ports and found next morning that it had melted. After this point both the front usb ports fail to work and also "destroy" any memory stick placed in them. No they don't melt as well but they then lose their data and fail to work at all. From this time on my start up problems recommenced ....

If the start up process goes long enough I get an error message
Disc Error 23 at :4/00000012F776D200 and further along Internal Abort on
Data Transfer at &FC12E53C

Anyone understand any of this? Maybe my new hard drive is defective? Possibly my usb card is now defective as well in terms of the front ports anyway. I suspect I may need to replace this card. Does anyone know if Castle still carry supplies?

I have managed to make preliminary contact with David Ruck and at his suggestion obtain a copy of DiscKnight. I am not sure exactly what I should do next.

As I am in far off Australia and nowhere near any kind of expert help any suggestions would be welcome. I am having to send this message from my wife's laptop.

Peter

--
Peter Russell
Adelaide, South Australia