[iyonix-support] Re: Is a DVD-drive a CD-drive?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:16:30 +0200

In message <a16091d94e.jacorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          James K White <jacorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <5e508dd94e.jacorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           James K White <jacorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I am guessing it is a missing soft-load module in the !Boot sequence.
>> Before I upped to 5.13, the boot sequence would hang a good seven
>> seconds on !!!!SoftSCSI. Now, the whole boot-up is so quick I can't
>> read any of it.
>>
>> So, to cut out the waffle, what precisely are the modules that work
>> DVD? Also, is !HID involved in any way?

No, HID is not involved, nor has SoftSCSI anything to do with it.

The modules that deal with DVDs are the same as those that deal with
CDs. In fact, we do not have any special DVD support anyway. Some DVDs
happen to look like CDs. These can be read because RISC OS thinks they
are CDs. None of the modules that handle CDs/DVDs are soft-loaded, so
even if your boot sequence was broken, it would not make any
difference in this respect.

> Adding to this the latest experiment: I remembered that switching on
> DHCP in the networking held up booting for ever. Now I can see that
> only ~~SoftSCSI appears. No sign of !!!!SoftSCSI.
>
> Recent additions to PreDesk (at the top) are the folder Interim and
> !+Resource.
>
> Is !!!!SoftSCSI being ignored?

You should not need to worry about such technical details - unless
there was any indication of anything being wrong with USB sticks,
which is what SoftSCSI is for.

Martin