[iyonix-support] Re: Is a DVD-drive a CD-drive?

  • From: Kade Hansson <kade.hansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:35:06 +1000

Martin Hodgson wrote:
Errm... yes it does read any arbitrary video DVD. That is, will read and
allow you to see the files on the disc and copy then or whatever.
It will not, of course play the video (even my Wintel M/C requires a
program to play the  movie).
Most (maybe all) Video DVDs are hybrid ISO/UDF - called UDF bridge. I imagine as they have an ISO filing system, RISC OS will read them. Most Data DVDs will not be hybrid, and will instead be ISO or UDF and probably not both. These days I would expect most to be UDF only, as ISO has some limitations which UDF doesn't. (Unfortunately, as Steffen has pointed out in the past, UDF is a raher complex and bloated format, so the powers that be went a bit too far.)

Cheers,

Kade.

---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/iyonix-support