[iyonix-support] Re: Is a DVD-drive a CD-drive?

  • From: Martin Hodgson <marthodgson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:05:04 +0100

In article <cd293dd84e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2007 James K White <jacorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Having just installed a new DVD-drive in the X100, in place of the
> > CD-drive, the iconbar icon is still displaying as 'CDFS::0'.
> > The drive will happily catalogue a CD, but for a DVD it reports 'empty
> > drive'.

> > Is there a module or prog which detects the DVD, or config option that
> > I should set?

> Its still is a CD Drive as far as RISC OS is concerned, so it will
> appear as CDFS. It will only read DVDs that have a CD like ISO filing
> system on them, not arbitrary video DVDs.

> Cheers
> ---Dave

Errm... yes it does read any arbitrary video DVD. That is, will read and
allow you to see the files on the disc and copy then or whatever.
It will not, of course play the video (even my Wintel M/C requires a
program to play the  movie).

FWIW this Lite-On CD/DVD reader/writer handles pretty much anything I
throw at it.
Iyonix, RISC OS 5.13, no extras running other than normal Iyonix boot,
plus HID.

So, why does the OP machine not read DVDs ?
I don't see why my Iyonix should be exceptional.

Martin Hodgson.