[iyonix-support] Re: Correcting Firefox assumptions

  • From: Xavier Tardy <xatardy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:57:10 +0200

Hello.

Is it possible to get a copy of ChoX11 source code to have a look at it ?
I might possibly try to modify it so that it deals correctly with foreign keyboards (though it was a long time ago I had to use C or C++ I must confess, but I still have friends who could help).
Regards,
Xavier.

Iyonix.2006a@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :
Hi,

I resend this since perhaps it didn't get through since I didn't get any
reply to my questions. In addition I copy it to peter@xxxxxxxxxx just in
case since I would indeed appreceate some feed back on my bug report
near the bottom.

Thanks!
In message <8062dcb54f.HzN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Iyonix.2006a@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

In message <48627AA9.6070805@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

it's very frustrating to realize that the programmer bypassed the
Operating System routines and implemented his own, faulty ones.
Firefox doesn't not subvert any RISC OS routines or drivers.  Apart from
that is, UnixLib (vs SCL) and Tinct (vs Select alpha plotting) but those
are incidental to issues mentioned here and provide functionality that
is otherwise absent, and in any case are also used by NetSurf.
Peter, I'm a bit irritated now....

The complaint was that Firefox "bypassed" OS routines and you state that
Firefox does not "subvert" and OS routines and somewhere later in the
thread we learn that Firefox relies on ChoX11 which uses inkey to read
the keyboard and is hardcoded to UK.

Please be so kind to shed a bit more light on this, especially
explaining what you mean by "does not subvert" - agreed inkey is also
part of the OS but not using the full keyboard reading code and is not
supporting the keyboard layout defined for the system is something I
would consider to be "bypassing" OS routines and implementing own ones.
(But perhaps when you wrote your aforementioned statement you assumed
something and now you know that you use this code which lacks some
features so that your point of view on this changed.)

Just to make sure there is no mis-understanding: I do *not* complain
that currently ChoX11 and thus Firefox use a keyboard input technique
that is hard coded to UK (as far as I understood); all I kindly ask for
is clarification so that I understand what you mean.

Furthermore to help us help you you: When you got the information
Firefox doesn't recognise the French keyboard (RSC OS does it well)
you wrote
This isn't a bug report since I don't know what "doesn't recognize"
means.
What exactly to you need in such a case? Would it have been sufficient
to e.g. state this (if yes, please consider it as bug report):

When I press the key labelled "/" (it's shift-7) then in the URL I get a
question mark, the ' (shift-#) results in the @ and the Del key doesn't
seem to do anything - strangely as far as I can tell all other keys are
fine despite me having a German keyboard (I would have expected Z and Y
to have been swapped as is usual with a UK keyboard encoding not to
mention that most special chars are on differnt placesä). Even the
German Umlauts appear in Firefox URL.

---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/iyonix-support