[iyonix-support] Re: Card Reader query

  • From: Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:02:05 +0100

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, Julie wrote:

Hi,

[snip]
It's been rather longer than a year since I did any C programming, but
IIRC, there is a choice of integer representations available. Both
signed and unsigned can be used, as well as 'short' and 'long' and
possibly 'double' (the exact length of these depends on the platform).
Unsigned long or unsigned double should give you the full 32 bits.

Allright Julie,

what I meant to say or write was this: Due to RISC OS relying on 32 bit
registers for counting any number > ~2 GB is negative. This feature is
implemented in the FileCore module (and others).

You can circumvent the limitations in C by using the "long (long) int"
data type, but once you call RISC OS (FileCore) the reply is limited to
a 32 bit register with any unpatched version of FileCore.

For example:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7fh3a000.aspx

We could of course argue about Microsoft's value as a "good example"
but I won't. :-)

Julie

Regards,
Rainer