[iyonix-support] Re: Card Reader query

  • From: Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 23:06:41 +0100

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, John wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether this is likely to work on the Iyonix, please?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-Single-Slot-SDHC-Reader/dp/B000VY80AM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261157271&sr=8-1
(when it eventually arrives) Should be Ok on my laptop, but would be useful
if there is a way of getting it to work on RO. One problem I forsee is that
it will have a 16gb card to read.....

As far as I can recall from some programming exercise I did one year ago,
RISC OS in gerneral, not just on the Iyonix, works with 32 bit registers.
As nowadays C and it's derivatives are widely used as a programming
language, the representation of a 32 bit register is an integer, which
uses one of the 32 bits for the sign. (+/-) That leaves us with 31 bit,
which can be used up to 2147483648 which is 2^30, or roughly 2 GB if you
are counting bytes.

I think the problem is situated in the FileCore module, which has been
patched to use 2 registers for counting on certain calls, but it is not
just the FileCore module but more modules need patching as well.

So currently there is not much hope of getting the 16GB card to work
with any version of RISC OS.

Sorry.

John

Rainer