[iyonix-support] Re: ABC Compiler

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:42:19 +0100

Andrew Hodgkinson <ahodgkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Martin Wuerthner wrote:
>
> > With hindsight, it would have been a good idea if RO5 had introduced
> > such a check - back then, it would have been an ideal moment to do so
> > because all executables had to be changed anyway to make them 32-bit
> > compatible.
>
> Actually, many executables did not, particularly a lot of transient
> utilities. In fact there was a long discussion and ultimately a quite
> explicit decision to *not* require the header. There was already more
> than enough incompatibility without introducing another source of
> problems.

If an absolute or utility executable doesn't have an AIF header, then run
and be damned is the only option. However I would like to see RO5 check the
32bit flag if an AIF header is present, as currently it will accept either
an old style zero or explicit 26. This is usually indicative of people who
think they've built a 32bit application but haven't got the compiler
options right

Cheers
---Dave

--