[iyonix-support] Re: ABC Compiler

  • From: Iyonix.2006@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 13:06:51 +0200

> chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The !compile part of the Archimedes Basic Compiler (ABC) package is
> > reported as not 32 bit compatible (although it runs OK on the Iyonix) so
> > I am having difficulty on the A9. How and when will this bug be corrected
> > please?
>
> Talk to STD and ROL, it was their decision to prevent hundreds of 32bit
> applications from working on the A9 just before it was released, with
> absolutely no warning to developers.

Indeed the idea of STD/Ad6 and ROL to make the start for the A9home this
hard for the users by adding this check which until now obviously
wasn't really needed is not a good idea at all.

STD/Ad6 wanted that so that the OS they use is not considered a toy OS
by their unnamed clients as Ad6 stated at Wakefield AFAIR. Then it is
OK to include that feature in the OS to make them clients happy but to
include it as default in the standard RISC OS for us and thus the
end user A9home is probably not a good idea.

Well AFAIK on A9home the user can and as it seems should disable this
check. I hope that this disabling is easy - I'd expect an option in the
system configuration but some CLI command is needed and has to be put
in some obey file inside PreDesk.

Well, perhaps APDL comes to help with a AIFGuard application like the
good ol' StrongGuard ;-)

> > The ABC compiler was the main reason I bought the C/C++ development CD,
> > in oder to allow an application written in BASIC to run on the new 32 bit
> > computers (A9 and Iyonix). Is there a download to fix this please (I
> > subscribe to the developer site).
>
> There is no easy fix to the RunImage and compile binaries, as they do not
> contain AIF headers.

Which is perhaps something CTL should address since even when they were
not checked until now Acorn already stated that AIF headers should be
in place.

--
Herbert

Herbert zur Nedden
German Archimedes Group http://www.gag.de

Herausgeber DER deutschen RISC OS-Zeitschrift.