[iyonix-support] Re: 516 and the Network Chip Problem

  • From: John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:15:16 +0000

Roger Darlington wrote:
On 1 Feb 2010, David Pitt wrote:

John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>I suspect that the problem is that the PSU voltages do not fal off to
zero volts until the machine has been left powered off for a while.

I suspect that, because the PSU voltage has not fallen to zero, it is
holding some bit(s) at '1' which is preventing a proper cold-power up
reset.

If my Iyonix crashes, sometimes the rest button never works, no matter
how many times I try it. Switching off at the back, and then back on
again after only a few seconds does not allow a proper power on reset,
for the reason outlined above, unless I wait 3 mins or so before
powering up again.

As I say, I suspect the 3 mins is the required time for the PSU
(especially for the beefier higher power PSUs now supplied as
replacements)  to fully discharge, and thus affect a cold-power-on.

Yes.. the mobo uses little current so to get a good power-on-reset the powersupply does need to be zeroed.

with the power switch off, you can usually accelerate the discharge by actually holding the poweron button in for a few seconds.

John
John Ballance C.Eng MIET (Support) - jwb@xxxxxxxxxx - 07976 295923

John says: Shrink household bills by up to 30%? -> Have you looked here?

Too Much Month at the End of the Money? Look at this!

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4828 (20100202) __________

http://www.eset.com