[iyonix-support] Re: 516 and the Network Chip Problem

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:24:00 GMT
On 1 Feb 2010, David Pitt wrote:
> John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I am one of those who haven't yet upgraded to RISC OS 5.16 because, when I
>> tried the softload, the networking became unavailable. This was something
>> I had encountered with 5.14 softload so had already abandoned that and
>> reverted to 5.11 where I am now.  I didn't know then what was the cause of
>> the problem; it was covered here recently, which was helpful.
>>
>> I waited for a solution to be proposed, but unless have I missed it none
>> has come -- apart from "fingering the mains switch", whatever that means,
>> and it sounds undesirable anyway.  I have tried a few things, including
>> shutting down and re-starting immediately, but cannot get the network
>> (chip) to initialise.  I cannot operate without it, so am stuck.
>>
>> I had rather hoped for a way to kick the network chip into life, in the
>> same way that !USBkick gets that sub-system going.
>>
>> Have I missed the solution to this issue?  I suspect there are others (not
>> necessarily on this mailist) with the same issue.
>
> Oh dear, that will be me then, "fingering the mains switch" indeed!!
>
> I find the failure of the network chip to be a bit variable here, *poweroff
> - wait a moment - press the blue front switch used to work most of the time.
> Now I am finding I have to turn off the rear mains switch - wait a moment -
> then turn on again. The chip needs a full reset to start it and the mains
> switch gives a "fuller" restart compared to the front soft switch. The 'wait
> a moment' bit is just to wait for the drives to spin down, the drives
> probably do not have anything to do with it but is about the 'wait' time
> required. I now also find it sometimes to be necessary to let the Iyonix
> "warm up" for a while before the power recycle.

I suspect that the problem is that the PSU voltages do not fal off to
zero volts until the machine has been left powered off for a while.

I suspect that, because the PSU voltage has not fallen to zero, it is
holding some bit(s) at '1' which is preventing a proper cold-power up
reset.

If my Iyonix crashes, sometimes the rest button never works, no matter
how many times I try it. Switching off at the back, and then back on
again after only a few seconds does not allow a proper power on reset,
for the reason outlined above, unless I wait 3 mins or so before
powering up again.

As I say, I suspect the 3 mins is the required time for the PSU
(especially for the beefier higher power PSUs now supplied as
replacements)  to fully discharge, and thus affect a cold-power-on.

--

Cheers
Roger

Atomic Software   http://atomicsoftware.org.uk/
Isotope Info     http://rogerarm.freeuk.com/rogerarm/
Wild Flowers     http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/
Bury Walkers     http://burystrollers.org.uk/
Lonely pen tops. Where are their pen pals?