[isapros] Re: OT: College Research Paper (Quantum Cryptography)

  • From: "Gerald G. Young" <g.young@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 14:37:07 -0400

True, in quantum communication they use photons but it is linked to
values presented by qubits.  The qubit - or quantum bit, for those not
familiar with the term - is based on quantum mechanics, as I understand
it, and it is the decoherence of the quantum state that destroys the
result once it is read.  Still, the BB48 and QKD protocols provide some
error handling (not sure how at all - too deep for paper) but these
protocols allow for either side to determine that a transmission has
been listened to because of a public channel employed by the protocols
(they compare private results against public results).

But that's pretty much along the line of questioning I wished to ask:
How is quantum information communicated between two parties when
intended or unintended interference (which disrupts the quantum states)
occurs?  While this might prevent listening to the transmission and
discerning the content and meaning of the message, what would prevent
the message from being jammed (DOS against traffic)?

With regards to quantum cryptography, where quantum computing is used to
decipher ciphers, how much faster is it than classical computing?  I
understand that where a 3-bit register can only be one of eight possible
values at any given time, a 3-qubit register can be all (they call this
superposition, I believe).  I also understand logically that with a
classical computer it will take on average (n + 1)/2 guesses (where n =
number of possible answers, usually 2 ^ number of bits) to determine a
cipher but with a quantum computer that changes (proportionally) to the
square root of n for the number of guesses.

So, for a 64-bit key, on a classical computer it would take
9,223,372,036,854,775,809 guesses, which would take... how long?  I know
it's a long time, but how do you determine the time?  On a quantum
computer, though, the same 64-bit key would take only 4,294,967,296
guesses.  Again, how might you determine time?  And how does
superposition affect the processing?  In a classical system you can only
compare 1 value against a single value in the n-bit register during a
single operation.  However, in a quantum computer you can compare that 1
value against all of the possible values in the n-qubit register during
a single operation.

I could also be totally annihilating the terminology here.  My apologies
if I am. :-)  But, this is the reason I'm asking.  Everything seems to
talk about quantum whatever as everything being based in some way on
quantum mechanics.

Cordially yours,
Jerry G. Young II
Applications Engineer, Platform Engineering
Enterprise Hosting
NTT America, an NTT Communications Company

22451 Shaw Rd.
Sterling, VA 20166

Office: 571-434-1319
Fax: 703-333-6749