[isapros] Re: OT: College Research Paper (Quantum Cryptography)

  • From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 10:14:00 -0700

As I understand it, quantum cryptography not just has the ³potential² of
determining if the traffic is being sniffed, but it actually ³breaks² when
intercepted in any way.  It follows the same theory of measuring any quantum
particle? any means we current have to use to measure the speed or direction
of a quantum particle (like bounding another particle off of it and
observing that particle¹s behavior) actually changes the speed and direction
of the quantum particle one is trying to measure in the first place.  Same
with the encryption.  Any process used (other than the end point reception)
to intercept the particles would end up changing them, thus breaking the
whole thing.

But that is for true ³quantum cryptography² not these guys using photons and
calling it ³quantum.²   Bruce Schneier talks about it briefly in Applied
Cryptography, which is a great book to curl up with on a Sunday afternoon.
;)

hth

On 10/2/06 6:55 AM, "Gerald G. Young" <g.young@xxxxxxxx> spoketh to all: