[isapros] Re: [ISAServer] Firewall client DNS resolution over control channel

  • From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:05:28 -0700

Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis?

All the clients have internal DNS set.  Internal DNS has root zones.  From a
command prompt (or some exploit) they cannot resolve external addresses.
But when you set them as Web Proxy clients, they can, of course, use IE as
the ISA server *does* have DNS configured, and has rules that allow it to
query my external name server and my ISP's server cache (and *only* that
server cache).  That works just fine, and always has.

There are a few special cases where I've needed the firewall client (those
are not important to the subject.)

As I have seen in the linked article (and others) a FWC machine will use the
control channel (1745) to query DNS, and the ISA server will proxy that
request even in a shell.  I added the "L" parameter to the NameResolution
tag, applied settings, refreshed the client, and it can still resolve
external host names via the ISA server.  There is no reason for the client
to be able to do that, and I want to disable that.

On 7/6/06 6:46 PM, "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx> spoketh to all: