[isapros] Re: [ISAServer] Firewall client DNS resolution over control channel

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:13:21 -0500

OK, so it's not name resolution in general that's hurting your feelings,
its that you don't want all applications to be able to have the ISA
firewall resolve names on the client's behalf. Is that correct?

IOWs, it's OK for the ISA firewall to resolve names on behalf of the Web
proxy client, but its NOT OK to have the ISA firewall resolve names on
behalf of the Firewall client, because the Web proxy client is the
browser (and other applications that use the WinInet or WinHTTP
interfaces, I think), but its NOT OK for all Winsock applications to
have names resolved on their behalf.

All I can say is that it *should* work, at least for ISA Server 2000 and
ISA 2004. Haven't tested it yet on ISA Server 2006 and I notice that in
the RC, they've removed all documentation of FWC settings, which doesn't
forbode well. But here's what it says in the ISA 2004 HF:

NameResolution Possible values: L or R. By default, dotted decimal
notation or Internet domain names are redirected to the ISA Server
computer for name resolution and all other names are resolved on the
local computer. When the value is set to R, all names are redirected to
the ISA Server computer for resolution. When the value is set to L, all
names are resolved on the local computer.

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
Site: www.isaserver.org
Book: http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
MVP -- ISA Firewalls