Re: Web Publishing

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:56:45 -0800

That's correct.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/authors/harrison/
Read the books!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Carlson" <domitianx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 22:12
Subject: [isalist] Web Publishing

http://www.ISAserver.org

I am hoping I am just confirming the way I think this should work.

With Web publishing, every inbound request gets mapped to the web proxy and
the web proxy takes care of sending the packets to the specified internal
resource, therefore my logs always show the Internal IP of the ISA server.

Basically I have 15 websites on a IIS box using Host Headers and I set up a
web publishing rule for each one, created a destination set, etc now I want
my logs to show the actual information about the visitor instead of the
internal IP of the ISA box.

I am assuming I need to use Server publishing to do this and delete all my
web publishing rules.

I just need to publish the webserver itself and the webserver will parse the
host headers and deliver the correct site. It just forwards anything on Port
80 to the webserver and the webserver takes care of the rest.

Server publishing acts like most other PortForwarding firewalls, it just
forwards anything that comes in on the specified port to the specified
internal IP and does nothing else with it.

Am I correct?

Mike Carlson
http://www.domitianx.com
domitianx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx