RE: Web Cam ports

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:58:22 -0800

Yeh; the live demo is nothing more than marketroid spew and it requires
their "special ActiveX control"; that ain't happenin' here.

Actually, this gives something approaching "real" information:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1433&question=DCS-2000%20/
%20DCS-2100+%20/%20DCS-5300%20/%20DCS-5300W%20/%20DCS-5300G
(watch out for the wrap beast)

Even then, it's really sloppy info.

According to that page, you need (direct quote):
- 80 (TCP) HTTP Port (allows access to web-configuration and transmits
video if other ports are not forwarded)
- 5001 (TCP/UDP) Control Channel Port (used to synchronize audio and
video)
- 5002 (TCP/UDP) Audio Channel Port (transmits synchronized audio)
- 5003 (TCP/UDP) Video Channel Port (transmits synchronized video)

Based on the second DI-604 screenshot, these protocols are "inbound",
since they specify that it's from WAN to LAN.   Notice that they also
allow it from any external IP.  Welcome to hacker-land, boys & girls...

Here's the deal:
1 - only Firewall clients can use this,  SecureNAT and Web Proxy folks
ain't getting audio at all (are you listening?).  If you can't / won't
support FW clients, stop reading now.
2 - create your protocol definition thusly:
        Primary connection      = TCP:80 outbound
        Secondary connection    = TCP:5001-5003 Inbound
        Secondary connection    = UDP:5001-5003 Receive-Send
3 - create your "camera" rule using this protocol and make sure it's
listed BEFORE any other HTTP-based allow rule or you won't get the
secondary port behavior you need.
4 - create Firewall Client Application settings as:
        <name of app>   RemoteBindTcpPorts = 5001-5003
        <name of app>   RemoteBindUdpPorts = 5001-5003
5 - install the Firewall client software on any host that expects to
view / control this camera

..bear in mind that I have absolutely no way to test this, but if their
information is correct, it should work.

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/