Re: VNC

  • From: "Ray Dzek" <rdzek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:59:30 -0700

I would agree here.  I would never leave port 5900 open to the internet.
VPN in and then VNC to the workstation you want to control.

There are many flavors of VNC now.  The one I currently use is tightVNC
(google it).  It has better compression, and typically does not have the
screen refresh issues previously mentioned.

There are SSH add-ons for VNC, but I have never used them.  VPN is more
secure.  VNC also works cross-platform which is a plus.  But there are
also RDP options for different platforms now.  RDP is also a derivative
of Citrix which is very efficient.  Overall VNC is Fast, easy, and free.
For light remote access, it is great.

If you have the $$$ though, an IP enabled KVM is the way to go.  Then
you get boot level access to the server.  You can reboot a server and
even muck around in the BIOS, configure RAID controllers, etc.  I have
tried IP KVM's from Startech, Belkin, and Raritan.  Raritan was hands
down the winner.  Raritan was also 3X more expensive.

Ray Dzek
Network Operations Supervisor
Specialized Bicycle Components
PH:  408-782-5420