Should I use SSL or VPN

  • From: Nathan Simpson <nathan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:48:01 +1000

Hi,

Currently we have a few site to site VPNs and these work great. But we
also have a few very small clients that make it not worth setting up a
site to site VPN.

They need to connect to our telnet application.

Would it be best/safer/easier to publish the telnet application over SSL
or should we allow them VPN access to our network and then access to the
telnet application?

We currently publish our telnet application on a webfacing program so it
is accessible over port 443 but this isn't/can't be used for full blown
access as you can't do as much in a web browser as you can in the telnet
application.

So is publishing the individual port 23 any different to publishing port
443?

So I really just want opinions on would you use VPN or publish the port
and secure it with SSL.

Thanks

Regards,

Nathan Simpson