SMTP

  • From: "Lim, Arthus T." <alim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:41:06 +0800

Good Day!  Though this is not actually related to ISA in anyway, allow
me to throw these questions to you because I have tried to post these to
some sites that concern my problems but I couldn't get the right
solutions.

I sent an email to someone and it didn't get through.  It turns out that
their organization uses ORDB.ORG, not allowing mail servers with open
relay to connect to them.  I am using E2K and I've read that by default,
it is configured not to open relaying.  But still, I was convicted.

Here's the configuration of our SMTP virtual server when we were
detected to have an open relay:

Default SMTP Virtual Server:
IP Address:  Unassigned
Filter:  Disabled
Relay Restrictions:  All are allowed
Allow computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of
the list above:  checked

Here's what I did to close the open relay:
Created 2 SMTP Virtual Servers

External Virtual Server
IP Address:  Public IP Address
Filter: Enabled
Relay Restrictions: Only the list below are granted
                        127.0.0.1
                        My Private IP
                        My Public IP
Allow computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of
the list above:  checked
Perform reverse DNS lookup on incoming messages: checked

Internal Virtual Server
IP Address: Private IP Address
Filter: Disabled
Relay Restrictions: No relaying
Allow computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of
the list above:  unchecked
Perform reverse DNS lookup on incoming messages: checked

I already deleted the messages that cause the delay in traffic.  But I
can still see attempts of relaying.  Here's the error message. I'm
getting a lot of these from administrator email account.

hubbard@xxxxxxxxxxxx on 6/21/2002 10:39 AM
        The email system was unable to deliver the message, but did not
report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. Etc.

And I observed that this affects the processing of my outgoing messages.
It's relatively slow now compared before, sometimes it takes an hour to
deliver the message.

Please advise me on what to do once and for all.  Thank you so much!
More power!