[isalist] Re: RCP over HTTP Assistance needed

  • From: "Tom Rogers" <trogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:07:44 -0400

>...some people just want thing handed to them on a silver platter!!!

And what is wrong with that? If so many people on this list have RPC over HTTP
working fine, there must be a standard way to accomplish the feat. I have read
documentation from Microsoft - explaining making the Exchange server a DC/GC,
yet everyone on this list has a heart attack over the idea. Even Tom Shinder's
own examples in his published tutorials show this configuration as an option.
So I changed the server to do it the way it is recommended on this list, yet it
won't work.

When you have put as much time into trying to get this thing working as I have,
yet it just won't work, it would be nice to have someone tell you to do this,
this, this, and this and you are done. Or to have someone explain the pitfalls
to watch out for - that are NOT documented. For example, Outlook will not tell
you that you are having 500 errors - so how in the world would you know to look
for that specific error if you could not connect?

Do you think I just popped onto this list asking for detailed help, without
doing anything myself first? I have spent countless hours working on this
before my first post to this list. I ask for help only as a last resort.

You all might be geniuses working with ISA server, I am not - I have made it
clear on several occassions before, that I am an ISA rookie. I don't work for
Microsoft, I don't have a PhD in anything, I am just a Systems Admin for a
small company, trying to get RPC over HTTP to work - to add value to my users
productivity. Then when I ask for help on this list after trying everything I
could on my own, I am chastised, yelled at, talk to like I am a complete idiot
who can't read my own name. I really appreciate that, let me tell you.

If the people on this list, who are on their high horses and who love to talk
down to people needing help like me, have users to support, I feel very sorry
for their users. To me, a technical person has to have people skills just as
much as technical skills, and the examples I have seen on this list leave much
to be desired.

I guess my best bet (after checking the authentication stuff that Jim
suggested), will be to hire someone to help me with this issue - someone who
can go over everything I have done, and patiently and decently - explain the
why of things as we complete the job together.

Adios,

-TRogers