[isalist] Re: RCP over HTTP Assistance needed

  • From: "Tom Rogers" <trogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 22:53:22 -0400

Dynip.com will not allow me to obtain a Certificate from VeriSign or any other
public, trusted CA and apply it to our DDNS name (company.dynip.com)

If I have to get a certificate from VeriSign or any other public, trusted CA, I
will have to get a static IP.

BTW, I'm just wondering why most of the help I get on this discussion list is
so convoluted? When I ask a question, I never get a direct answer, it's always
some obscure, sometimes pretentious, sarcastic statement.

I really appreciate the free advice given here by you highly trained experts on
ISA, but for those of us who are rookies and are just trying to get ISA working
like it should, those of use who do not have an IQ of 200, need something more.
If someone asks, "How do you get such and such a function to work right?",
someone should be able to say, "Do this, this, this, then that, then you should
be fine." Or at least give a direct link to a tutorial, whitepaper, tech note,
whatever. Instead of getting an answer like, "It's right there on the website."

This is what I need to know:
The certificate for my EXCHANGE box is installed on the ISA box - I exported it
from the EXCHANGE box and imported it into ISA. Is this not good enough? All I
want to know at this point is - can I use a certificate created by an internal
network CA for RPC over HTTP from the outside world, or not. Do I have to have
a 3rd party (ie: VeriSign) certificate to get RPC over HTTP working from the
outside? If so, I will go get a static IP, get a registered domain name for
that IP, get the certificate, and be done with it.

But since OWA works fine with a certificate issued on my internal network CA,
why can't RPC over HTTP? I would like to know the WHY.

Thanx,

-TRogers