[isalist] Re: Publishing a SSH Server (The solution)

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 09:28:48 -0700

I'm on OWA, so my ASCII art will be a bit off:

Correct - if you need a route relationship between two hosts, then they need
"direct" or at least "routed" access to each other.  If their IP subnetting is
such that they cannot reach each other except via a NAT device, the rule itself
cannot work.

ISA Server Publishing NAT scenario:
Client IP == 123.123.123.123
ISA Ext IP = 123.123.123.124
ISA Int IP = 192.168.0.1
Published SSH server =192.168.0.2

External client sends:
 ------------------------------------
|     Source IP    | Destination IP  |
 ------------------------------------
|  123.123.123.123 | 123.123.123.124 |
 ------------------------------------
ISA fwds to pub server:
 ------------------------------------
|     Source IP    | Destination IP  |
 ------------------------------------
|  123.123.123.123 |   192.168.0.2   |
 ------------------------------------
In this scenario, the "standard" NAT-based server publishing applies.  ISA ==
default gateway for the SSH server, etc...  If you change the rule to "use ISA
address", then the source Ip will be the ISA defatul internal IP.

ISA Server Publishing Route scenario #1:
Client IP == 123.123.123.123
ISA Ext IP = 123.123.123.124
ISA Int IP = 192.168.0.1
Published SSH server =123.123.124.124

External client sends:
 ------------------------------------
|     Source IP    | Destination IP  |
 ------------------------------------
|  123.123.123.123 | 123.123.124.124 |
 ------------------------------------
ISA fwds to pub server:
 ------------------------------------
|     Source IP    | Destination IP  |
 ------------------------------------
| 123.123.123.123  | 123.123.124.124 |
 ------------------------------------
In this scenario, the "standard" route-based server publishing applies.  ISA ==
default gateway for the SSH server, and also performs routing for the client to
the internal network (or just the SSH server as you like). However you
confinger it, the client's routing path to teh internal network *must* use the
ISA external IP as the "last hoop" in the routing path.

ISA Server Publishing Route scenario #2:
Client IP == 192.168.1.1
ISA Ext IP = 123.123.123.124
ISA Int IP = 192.168.0.1
Published SSH server =192.168.0.2

External client sends:
 ------------------------------------
|     Source IP    | Destination IP  |
 ------------------------------------
|    192.168.1.1   |   192.168.0.2   |
 ------------------------------------
ISA fwds to pub server:
 ------------------------------------
|     Source IP    | Destination IP  |
 ------------------------------------
|   192.168.1.1    |   192.168.0.2   |

In this scenario, the "non-standard" route-based server publishing appears.
ISA == default gateway for the SSH server, and also performs routing for the
client to the internal network (or just the SSH server as you like). However
you confinger it, the client's routing path to the internal network *must* use
the ISA external IP as the "last hoop" in the routing path.  This is much like
the "BQOD" test I posed where an RFC-1918-assigned device lies outside ISA and
must be acessible to/from the LAT.