RE: I dont understand all this UDP traffic

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:42:21 -0700

Since .2 is the Exchange server, it appears that it's receiving UDP traffic
from an APIPA-configured
host (probably broadcast) and trying to reply to it.  Since the 169.-subnet
isn't in it's local
segment, it uses ISA to respond (Default Gateway) and ISA logs this apparently
strange traffic.
About all you can do at this point is to run Netmon on the Exchange server
until you see that
traffic.  Then you'll get a MAC address that'll can help you pin down the
offender.
Also, do you have manageable network devices (switches, routers, etc.)?  If so,
you could use them
to narrow it down.

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG