RE: Creating a custom HTTP protocol

  • From: "Rob Moore" <RMoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:30:04 -0500

Between snow days and other stuff, it's taken me a while to get this
fully tested. Now I'm getting access to the Staples website to work, but
in a rather quirky way. In addition to the four steps I originally
mentioned below, I've now also configured the site for direct access.
(To do this I opened the Internal network, went to the Web Browser tab,
and made an entry for Staples--*.staples.com--in the "Directly access
these servers or domains" section.)

I've configured my computer to use the autoconfig script. I've tried
accessing the Staples website both with and without the Firewall Client
software installed. Behavior is the same either way.

What happens now is when I try to access the Staples website I get the
usual error (actually, it's slightly different--now instead of getting
the official ISA orange/yellow one that had more detail, now I get a
much more generic-looking one, but with the same essential error: "Error
Code: 500 Internal Server Error. The request was rejected by the HTTP
filter"). If I then put the address back into the address bar, I connect
to the Staples website no problem.

When I look at the logs, all the entries for my attempted access go
through my generic "access to the Internet" rule--the one that allows
most web traffic to most people. None of the traffic is being looked at
by my new "access to Staples" rule, which is above the generic rule. I
do get a few "Access Denied" entries (Blocked by the HTTP security
filter: the response content is encoded and cannot be scanned).

Any thoughts about what might be going on now?

Thanks,
Rob