RE: Bandwidth Priorities problem

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:31:16 -0500

Hi John,

Its pretty cool, and something your biz might benefit from. Here's the
short course:

1. The person with the problem clicks a link you send to them.
2. The person with the problem then clicks a link on the Web page you
directed them to
3. An ActiveX control is installed on the problem user's browser
4. That user's name appears in your RapidAssist console
5. Right click on the uses name and click the command that asks the user
for permission to connect to his desktop
6. At this point you can see what's on the user's desktop (a la Terminal
Services or pcAnywhere)
7. Click a menu command sending a request to take control of the user's
computer. Now you have control of the users computer and you can fix the
problem. The user sees exactly what you're doing, and it appears to the
user that a ghost is in charge of the mouse pointer :-)
8. Disconnect after you fix the problem. All desktop image transfers are
encrypted

There is no way you can connect to the end users desktop without the
user clicking on the link, and then clicking OK on two separate
occasions when asked for permission.

Best of all, it uses simple protocols only. Best performance can be had
by using TCP 1181. But if the remote users firewall doesn't allow the
user access to TCP 1181, it will fall back to 443 and 80, respectively.
No secondary connectoins are ever required. You can host the server
component on your network, and publish it via ISA Server with a simple
Web and Server Publishing Rule. Performance is better than pcAnywhere,
and best of all, if the person is having problems with ISA Server, the
user can connect to his ISA Server from his desktop via Terminal
Services, and you can manage the Terminal Services session via the
RapidAssist session. The server software is less than 2 MB and runs on
Win2k Server, Win2k Pro and WinXP. I think it might even run on Win9x.

Best of all -- it's only 149.00/month. The first online consult pays the
freight for the entire month. Check out what WebEx costs ;-)

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder
<http://tinyurl.com/1llp>