[isalist] Re: 2 errors upon each restart concerning can not communicate with the domain

  • From: "John T \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:40:26 -0800

Responding to multiple posts/thoughts:

> What does
> nltest /sc_query:<DomainName>
> ..show you?

I copied nltest.exe from another server and am getting an error trying to
run it. Is there a specific one for Windows Server 2003?

Event Type:     Information
Event Source:   Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID:       26
Date:           12/26/2006
Time:           9:29:42 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:       SRV10
Application popup: Nltest.exe - Entry Point Not Found : The procedure entry
point NetEnumerateTrustedDomainsEx could not be located in the dynamic link
library NETAPI32.dll.

> You might also want to try gpupdate /force to see if you get anther
> Userenv error.

No error seen.

> I've also seen this kind of thing happen when the
> initial query to the DC is attempted from a NIC which is using an IP
> address on a subnet not setup in Active Directory Sites and Services so,

Only one subnet in use and all IPs are verified to be correct.

> Might be good, too, to tell the external NIC on
> the ISA box not to register itself with DNS if you haven't already done
> that, too.

Reviewed and verified unchecked.

> Barring that, you might also want to take a look at the NIC drivers and
> ensure you have the latest version.  Not sure if the Dell PE1950 uses
> Broadcom built-in NICs but in the past, earlier models did and we had
> all sorts of issues while using the Broadcoms.

Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II OB NICs with latest driver from Dell
installed.

> DNS entries in the nic properties correct? Pointing to the internal DNS?
> None on the external nic?

DNS entries on the Internal NIC point to Internal DNS servers which are the
2 DCs. External NIC DNS servers are blank.

John T
eServices For You

"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1802-1882)