[interfacekit] Re: Status Updates

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: interfacekit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:02:43 -0500 EST

> On 2004-01-13 at 23:22:17 [+0100], DarkWyrm wrote:
> > Just wondering because the list has been pretty quiet for quite
> > some
> > time. What's everybody up to?
>
> Though I'm fortunately not assigned to any task in IK context, I've
> though
> about implementing a little workaround for a problem with BClipboard
> and
> large amounts of data. Currently the clipboard data are sent through
> ports,
> which, due to a port message size limit, causes the clipboard to
> cease to
> work for data sizes of 2 MB (on R5) and more (easily reproducable
> when
> copying a large region in ShowImage).
>
> My idea to solve this problem is to pass data larger than, say, 64 KB
> through an area (and leave it like that in the registrar). I'm
> currently
> stuffed with work; so, if someone else wants to implement that, I
> wouldn't
> mind to hand it over.
Quite some time ago I wrote a class called AreaLink which was designed
to make it easy to attach data to it in a way similar to PortLink but
utilizing an area to send to another target. It's untested IIRC, but it
might be useful for you. Use it if you like, but I won't be bothered if
you don't, either. :)

--DW