[Indaemed_Freelist.Org] Re: [indaemed] Re: Syncope evaluation [wasRe: Re: NMS]

  • From: SS Mishra <ssmhialt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 13:39:22 +0530

First of all, VVS is not essentially a baroreceptor induced
phenomenon!!!!!!!  Today, more and more evidence is gathering for it to be a
centrally mediated process. Secondly, typical absence seizures should give
some
indication on provocation EEGs.  In any case typical absence seizures DO NOT
have a loss of postural tone.  They do not occur so sporadically but are
typically recurrent, and are more generally noticed from childhood, become
more frequent during adolescence and are unlikely to occur the first time at
20-21 yrs of age.

In this case, if it is a GABA Vs Glutamate imbalance absence seizure,
lasting more than 15 seconds and with loss of postural tone, it is more
likely to be astatic atypical absence seizure (eg. Lennox-Gestaut type).
Just not possible, as this type has a typical EEG (2-5 /sec slow spike and
wave discharge), typical age of occurence is 2-10 years, and attacks are
very recurrent. Treatment is generally ineffective in controlling absence
and faint spells.

The current case has the features of a susceptibility to vasovagal syncope,
if provoking factors like lack of sleep, fatigue, anxiety, hypoxia,
hypoglycemia etc. etc. etc. are present.   Contemptuously discarding this by
saying that he is not likely to get oxygen system failure in the air, he is
not likely to get decompression in the trainer ac etc. etc. is not
pertinent.  What is pertinent that the stress that we noticed was hypoxia in
this case.  Couldn't it have led to hyperventilation which ultimately
provoked the episode. Cannot hyperventilation occur due to reasons other
than hypoxia?  How about provocation like thermal stress, anxiety, abdominal
discomfort, lack of sleep occuring again.  True, that we do not do these
things to rule out VVS susceptibility, or there would be no end, but this
was the best possible guess, and a decision well taken by IAM.  Even if it
was more on administrative considerations, still  it was justified.  Now,
even if it were TA, will he be allowed to fly????

Sudhanshu