[Indaemed_Freelist.Org] Re: [indaemed] Re: Syncope evaluation [was Re: Re: NMS]

  • From: USM Bish <bish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:41:34 +0530

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 01:39:22PM +0530, SS Mishra wrote:
> First of all, VVS is not  essentially  a  baroreceptor induced
> phenomenon!!!!!!!

This is  a Shoib Akhtar delivery  whizzing past the ears,  I am
glancing at the leg  umpire, should he  signal a no ball.  Moin
Khan has just about managed to glove the ball 9 feet above !

This is  a flame  bait, and  I would  avoid biting  it for  the
moment lest  we digress  once again.  I will  transfer this  to
another thread !

What we need is a fair explanation to the facets brought out in
the  initial report  of  the medical  officer  after the  first
syncope episode. The salient features being:

o Past history of intense  psychological pressures, with maybe,
  associated sleep disturbances. (He  was  anxious since he was
  scheduled to fly his first solo  sortie that day. He had been
  sleeping for about four to five hours each night for the past
  3 to 4 days instead of his usual seven to eight  hours,  busy
  preparing for Aviation Medicine Final test).

o History of a freeze response before syncope (After narrating
  the emergency procedure, he  continued to  stand still for a
  couple of minutes)

o H/O preceding ANS mediated symptoms (when he felt dizzy, had
  blurring of vision and cold sweating before fainting).

o A genuine spell of unconsciousness (He fell flat on the face,
  sustaining a laceration wound on his chin).

o No convulsive episodes (DMO, who was  present for  the  pre-
  flight medical briefing, did not observe  any jerking  move-
  ments of limbs, incontinence, tongue bite or any other sugg-
  estive signs of seizures).

o Post syncopal recovery  spontaneous within few  minutes. (He
  found that the patient was sweating, looked  pale and had  a
  pulse rate of  54 beats per min. He  regained  consciousness
  spontaneously in a  few  minutes  and  could  recollect  the
  events preceding the faint).

o History  suggestive  of  periorbital (and probably perioral)
  myoclonia. (However,  while  being carried on a stretcher he
  felt "too tired" to open  his  eyes or to  respond to verbal
  command).

o Residual lethargy. (The patient was feeling  unduly fatigued
  on the day of this episode).

o He has had 2 syncopal attacks under 30,000 ft of hypoxia and
  I assume the  description  would  be similar  except for the
  stated absence of the myoclonic  component, and possibly the
  ensuing lethargy.

I find it difficult to explain these as a  vascular phenomenon
alone, and feel that there is a central component.  Whether it
is an absence seizure or not is another issue ...  but it  HAS
to be something central ...  Let us see if we can get at some-
thing.

If you support the VVS theory, it  would  be nice if you could
explain the above  findings based on the  same, (baro-receptor
mediated, centrally mediated, or whatever the current trend of
thinking these days is, on the subject).

Just a Q

Bish