[Indaemed_Freelist.Org] Re: Vaso-Vagal-Syncope [was Syncope evaluation[was Re: Re: NMS]]

  • From: SS Mishra <ssmhialt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:06:03 +0530

I had no intentions of throwing a bouncer.  What I wanted to emphasize was
that more often than not, baroreceptors are not involved in cases of NMS.
They may be involved in a few (not that they lead to NMS but their
dysfunction might be involved in failure to counter the fall in BP and
bradycardia, be it orthostatically induced, or centrally mediated.  This
dysfunction is more likely to occur at central sites of the reflex loop
rather than at the receptor level or in the effector organ - barring a few
instances like diabetic peripheral autonomic neurodegenerative disease).
Earlier theories (like those of Sharpey Schaffer) also did not hold arterial
and cardio-pulmonary baroreceptors responsible for NMS but a Bezold-Jarisch
type of  phenomenon due to left ventricular mechanoreceptor activation.
There are few takers for these theories today.  As I cannot indefinitely
prolong this e-mail, I am attaching two relevant pdf files on the subject
for the benefit of all.  Hope these will clarify the situation a little bit.

Sudhanshu