IndAeMed_F: Re: (no subject)

  • From: arvind36 <arvind36@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:47:51 +0530

Dear Dilish,

Yes, I have not only heard of but SEEN IT IN THE SAME HOSPITAL ALONG WITH SAME
PATHOLOGIST, IN AN AIRCREW CASUALTY FROM THE SAME EXERCISE AREA under somewhat
similar circumstances, that happened just 17 days before the accident you're
mentioning about.

This finding was noticed by both of us at first sight, but not paid much
attention in the final report. I concluded it to be natural postmortem change
as the body was seen about 8 hours after death.Remember 'post mortem lividity'
? What was the time lag between death and time of P/M examination, in the case
you are talking about?

Second factor that struck my mind was that in an aircrew sitting in the fighter
cockpit, the only active parts are lower limbs and hands, to some extent head.
Therefore, there has to be more consumption of oxygen in limbs - causing
'oxygen debt' in the muscles. In a living being, the debt is from stored oxygen
viz- half litre from air in the lungs, one fourth of a litre from dissolved
oxygen in body fluids, one litre from Hb, and one third litre from muscle
fibres. After an exercise is over, the debt is repayed in next few minutes. But
when the exercise and  circulation has been suddenly 'stopped' by instantaneous
death, the body fluids in the more active part will still 'recover' their
oxygen debt from the now 'locally stagnant' blood leaving it 'hypoxic''
(reduced Hb). Such a tissue will naturally look cyanosed.

Respected SSM may please comment further on physiological basis mentioned above.