IndAeMed_F: Re: (no subject)

  • From: USM Bish <bish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 23:59:31 +0530

Thru IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
   On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 04:29:02PM +0000, dilish malik wrote:

> Dear  List, I  think  it is  time  to move  on  to next  topic.
> Recently I attended to  a PM of a fatal aircraft  accident of a
> single seat  fighter. The  circumstantial evidence,  eyewitness
> and the  salient PM findings  had no  doubt in any  body's mind
> that it  was a clear  cut case of  mid air explosion.  The 1000
> pounder  bomb  to be  delivered  exploded  on station  and  the
> aircraft along  with the  pilot disintegrated  instantaneously.
> Available for  examination were only  extremities of all  the 4
> limbs.  Head,  Thorax and  abdomen  with  all the  viscera  had
> exploded/disintegrated/withered away strongly suggesting a high
> powered  explosion. Only  one finding  intrigued  me, "ALL  THE
> NAILS AVAILABLE FOR EXAMINATION  WERE DEEPLY CYANOSED". Looking
> at  the  sortie  profile, RT  communication  etc,  hypoxia  was
> absolutely a remote possibility and  there is little doubt that
> death/disintegration of  body was  instant. How  do we  explain
> this cyanosis of  the nails. Post Mortem  Cyanosis? has anybody
> heard of. I will  like to be enlighted on this  by one and all.

Deja vous ...

The year  was 1985.  In another  fatal a/c  accident where  the
remains of the  pilot (about 16 Kg)  was brough in by  GBS Kang
(Tango) in  the SAR helecopter. The  post mortem (and  COI) was
attended by yours truly. There was only one hand. It was shades
of purple-BLUE !

Touche ...

This is probably not cyanosis at all.  It is probably a form of
lividity (though  not explained  that way  in Forensic  books).
Probably  the  exposure  of  Forensic   experts  to  fatal  a/c
accidents are too few  and far between. We may have  to fill in
some of the missing pages ...

-----------------<quote: Ref noted below>----------------------

Lividity is a dark purple  discolouration of the skin resulting
from  the  gravitational pooling  of  blood  in the  veins  and
capillary beds  of the  dependent parts  of the  body following
cessation of  the circulation.  The process  begins immediately
after the circulation  stops. The bluish colour  of post mortem
lividity  does  not  have  the  same  connotation  as  cyanosis
produced during life. The term "cyanosis", which means a bluish
discolouration  of the  skin  or  mucous membranes,  should  be
confined to clinical descriptions and  not used for corpses. In
the  living, the  cyanotic  colour of  the  blood requires  the
presence of at least 5 g of reduced haemoglobin per cent in the
capillary blood.  However, in  the corpse,  oxygen dissociation
continues and there may be  reflux of deoxygenated venous blood
into the capillaries. For these reasons, the blood of a cadaver
becomes purplish-blue, but  this is not the result  of a patho-
physiological change occurring during life, e.g. strangulation.
The  normal  colour of  areas  of  post  mortem lividity  is  a
cyanotic hue, but this description should  not be used since it
is misleading. Lividity is usually  well marked in the earlobes
and in the fingernail beds.

-----------------------</quote>--------------------------------

L'Hypothese ...

In a death of  explosive nature, the g forces are  so high that
blood may  go in  any direction,  leading to  rupture of  small
vessels  all  arround  to  produce  a  scattering  of  punctate
purple-black  haemorrhages of  any  size  from one  to  several
millimetres in  diameter. Add  to this  the charring  effect of
high temperatures, (thermal coagulation and degradation).

It is my belief, that what you  noticed is dead right, but I do
not  think  it is  cyanosis  of  any  sort, but  an  "explosive
lividity" (if I have the liberty to coin buzz-words) due to the
mechanisms explained above.

La Reference ...

In this connection your attention  is drawn to the small-prints
of Modi's textbook. A good net reference is also available at:

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/forensicmedicine/llb/timedeath.htm

The above quote is taken from there ...

Time for a haircut ....

Best wishes,

Bish
To send messages to the full list please send to IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To view the archive of messages on this list please visit:
//www.freelists.org/archives/indaemed/

To add/change/remove your addresses/names please write to
Anirudh Agrawal at : anirudh_a@xxxxxxxxxxx
Alternate List : IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Webpage of this List at : http://www.AvMedNet.Net
ISAM Web Page at: http://www.ISAM-India.org